It’s no secret that the use of themes has greatly increased in recent years in the web design industry and it is definitely a trend that is here to stay. Using a pre-built template or WordPress theme for your business website can have its positives, but it is important to first explore custom web design options before settling for a pre-made website. In this article, we’ll explore the positives and negatives of using both templates/themes versus a custom web design solution.
Why Use a Pre-made Theme?
Website solutions that are pre-made by developers and designers, like premium WordPress themes for example, definitely have their benefits, but they also have many downsides.
- Low cost
- Quick setup
- Often easy to control colors/add your logo etc
- No design/development phase
- Not unique (your competitor could have the exact same website!)
- No relationship built with design/development company
- Very little customization
- Limited functionality
Depending on your specific needs, using a pre-made solution might be the right option for you if you have a very small budget and/or need the website online very quickly.
A theme can also be a good option for you if your requirements for your website are simple and uncomplicated. If you need advanced functionality other than simply a few pages of pictures and text, it is much smarter to entertain some custom design and development options.
Why You Should Hire a Designer/Developer for a Custom Website?
If you’re serious about achieving online marketing success with your website, a custom solution is a must if you have an appropriate budget. Hiring a web design company affords you many benefits in your internet marketing efforts, and most of all, a custom website design ensures that your company has a one of a kind website.
- Relationship built with designer/design company
- Custom, one of a kind
- Advanced functionality
- Design/development phase lets you tailor the website 100% to your needs
- Design of website matches your existing branding
- After-launch support and dedication from designer/design company
- Higher cost than using a pre-made template/theme
- Design/development phases can take time
Before you make a decision on whether to use a template or hire a design company to create a custom website for you and your business, understanding your budget and time constraints is vital to choosing the right option.
If you’re thinking about a new website for your business and aren’t sure what your best options are, feel free to send us a message. We’re happy to answer any questions you have about the website design industry and the design and development process.